OEA-R STATEWIDE FALL CONFERENCE SEPTEMBER 10, 2014
· OEA Officers
· OEA Executive Director Sheryl Mathis
· OEA-R Staff Liaison Bill Otten
· STRS & SERS Health Care Personnel will be invited to speak on health care issues/changes for 2015 followed by question & answers.
· Other interesting and informational sessions are planned for the afternoon including our ever popular feature of our own retired members sharing their special post retirement activities.
Location: STRS Building, 7th Floor (275 East Broad Street, Columbus, OH 43215)
NOTE: FREE Parking is provided at the STRS Building.
- Registration: 9:30 a.m.
- Program: 10 a.m.
- Lunch: 12:15 (covered by fee)
- Conclusion: 3 p.m.
Send your contact information (as listed below) with your $15.00 registration fee by September 1st to:
OHIO EDUCATION ASSOCIATION STATEWIDE FALL CONFERENCE P.O. BOX 2136 Columbus OH 43216-2136
ATTN: Bill Otten
Wednesday, January 8, 2014
OEA-R REPORT to SEOEA Executive Committee
A. I have attended the SE Representative Assembly, the December OEA-R Advisory Council Meetings in Columbus and the OEA Fall Representative Assembly.
B. The winter edition of SEOEA-R Newsletter is ready to email pending receipt of the new updated membership list. (Please educate your retired friends that once they retire, they need to contact OEA about changes to email addresses & other contact information. Also, educate active members that when they retire, they must supply a non-school email address to OEA. One can keep contact info current by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling OEA @ 1-800-282-1500 and requesting membership.)
C. Retired members will now serve on Screening Committees that interview state & federalcandidates. Retired members have been selected for these positions and will serve in 2014 pending approval. (SEOEA includes HD 90, 91, 93 and 94.)
D. Membership Drive with gas card gift upon joining pre-retired continues.
E. I currently chair the OEA-R Membership Committee and we have been brainstorming several ideas for increasing pre-retired members, so I am requesting some input from you. You can share your opinions in person or by email at email@example.com
- Would members be more likely to join if they could do so with a payroll deduction or credit card payment plan while they are active teachers? (One suggestion is 10 payments of $35.00 each.)
- If OEA-R had a presentation on OEA-R/pre-retired, would you use it at general and/or BR meetings? (A DVD presentation and/or guest speakers are being considered.)
Mentor an OU student majoring in education? Christine McVicar recommends it.
The Intergenerational Mentoring Program is a collaborative project between OEA-R and the OSEA with support from OEA and NEA. The program pairs retirees with students working toward a degree in education. The Intergenerational Mentoring Program is designed to help student teachers and new teachers as they finish their studies and move into their first year of teaching. Visit the Retired Members section of the OEA website (www.ohea.org ) choosing the “Programs & Events” from the drop-down box & then scroll down to see the latest mentoring brochure. Christine explains: this program includes 4 meetings of mentors & mentees on campus, usually on Sunday afternoons. Most of the mentoring occurs via email exchanges, however, some of us mentors do take our mentee out to eat, especially at the beginning. My first two mentees have graduated and I look forward to working with another one this fall. It has been my pleasure to act as a sounding board when problems occur and an audience for special achievements. If you can listen, you can mentor.
Volunteer by contacting Marilyn Allen at firstname.lastname@example.org